Winding Number and the Number of Real Zeroes of a Function
and W. Kuyk (in real life, Willem Kuijk - here are a few
of his many works)
Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society,
volume 114, number 4 (April 1992), pages 981-987.
The theorem in this paper shows that the number of real simple
zeros of a function of the form
f(x) = q(x)
+ ax + b, x
not too wild q(x) can be obtained counting the winding number of
a closed plane curve about the point (a, b).
AMS Subject Classifications (1985)
There are a few reprints left. If your library does not have this
particular journal issue, ask for a reprint by emailing me your postal address.
Remove "unwanted" from the address below.
- Kuyk, Willem and Smits, Lieven,
On the Geometries of the Rational Unfoldings of
±Xk, Acta Applic. Math. 19
History of this page
- Sep-Oct 2002: move to new site and update contact information
- 25 May 1998: add list of references
- 7 May 1998: include other information about the paper
- 1 Apr 1998: creation of the abstract